In my Thanksgiving post I promised to go into more detail about the benefits of focusing on things you are grateful for. Here are just a few of the many benefits acknowledging these positives:
- You’ll feel strangely…happy.
- Thinking about positive things gives the brain a natural boost of some of the “happy” chemicals so you truly feel good.
- It will get easier to think of the positives.
- At first you may be able to only think of 1-2 things you are thankful for on a bad day but six months after starting you are likely to be writing an entire page of things you appreciate even on a mediocre day!
- Your relationships will improve.
- If you are thinking about things you appreciate, you are more likely to express that appreciation. Your friends and family will likely respond in kind.
- You’ll be healthier.
- The mind body connection fascinates me! I’m not sure I personally understand the science well enough to explain it, but the research is pretty consistent that regularly practicing gratitude will have a positive impact on your physical health as well.
Next week I’ll talk about some specific ways you can practice gratitude and improve your own mood and mental health!
If you or someone you love would like to learn more techniques to improve your mental health, please contact me, Jessica Tappana, using the form on this page or by calling 573-328-2288 today and I will help you get set up with a therapist who can help you on your personal journey!